Contact Us
North Orange Daily Voice serves Crawford, Hamptonburgh, Middletown, Montgomery, Newburgh, New Windsor & Wallkill

Menu

North Orange Daily Voice serves Crawford, Hamptonburgh, Middletown, Montgomery, Newburgh, New Windsor & Wallkill

Nearby Towns

  • West Orange
    serves Deerpark, Greenville, Middletown, Minisink, Mount Hope, Port Jervis & Wawayanda
  • Putnam
    serves Brewster, Carmel-Kent, Cold Spring, Mahopac, Patterson & Putnam Valley
  • Southwest Dutchess
    serves Beacon, East Fishkill, Fishkill, LaGrange, Poughkeepsie, Wappinger & Wappingers Falls
  • South Orange
    serves Blooming Grove, Chester, Cornwall, Goshen, Highlands, Monroe, Tuxedo, Warwick & Woodbury
news

Orange County Man, 60, Gets 17 Years In Prison For Sexually Exploiting Girl

The 60-year-old man was also sentenced to supervised release for life.
The 60-year-old man was also sentenced to supervised release for life. Photo Credit: File

ORANGE COUNTY, N.Y. — A 60-year-old man from Orange County will spend  17½ years behind bars for sexually abusing a prepubescent girl, then taking and keeping pictures of the act, prosecutors said Friday.

Edward Diaz was sentenced Friday in White Plains federal court to 210 months in prison on one count stemming from his sexual exploitation of a minor, related child pornography offenses, and attempts to hinder the federal investigation into his conduct.

“Edward Diaz sexually abused a child, and then kept digital images depicting that abuse. For his predatory conduct, Diaz received the significant prison term his crime deserves,” said Joon H. Kim, acting U.S. attorney for the Southern District of New York.

Diaz, of Campbell Hall, pleaded guilty March 9 before U.S. District Judge Vincent L. Briccetti, who also imposed Friday’s sentence.

According to the allegations in the complaint, the indictment filed against Diaz, and statements made in court filings and proceedings in open court:

On or about April 1, 2016, Diaz used his personal email to send himself an email attaching three images depicting child pornography. His Internet service provider flagged the email as potentially containing child pornography and provided it to the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children.

A center representative reviewed the email, found the presence of child pornography, and notified the U.S. Postal Inspection Service.

On the morning of June 13, 2016, USPIS agents interviewed Diaz at his home and saw a laptop in his bedroom.

Diaz denied using the laptop to view child pornography. The USPIS agents left Diaz's residence but returned later that day with a search warrant.

Upon their return, the agents learned that Diaz had left and taken the laptop with him. USPIS agents contacted Diaz and convinced him to return.

When asked about the laptop, however, Diaz said that he did not own a laptop but finally stated that he took the laptop to a repair shop, which he declined to identify. The laptop has not been recovered.

During the subsequent search of Diaz's residence, USPIS agents recovered a Secure Digital card, which was given to the FBI for forensic analysis.

The analysis revealed the existence of five previously deleted images that appeared to contain child pornography. Specifically, the images depicted, among other things, a pre-pubescent girl engaged in a sex act with Diaz.

In addition to the prison term, he was sentenced to supervised release for life.

Kim praised the investigative work of the Postal Inspection Service and the FBI in the case.

to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.

Welcome to

North Orange Daily Voice!

Serves Crawford, Hamptonburgh, Middletown, Montgomery, Newburgh, New Windsor & Wallkill

This is a one time message inviting you to keep in touch

Get important news about your town as it happens.