A family of six was displaced following a garage fire that left the home with electrical and plumbing damage in Newburgh.
The fire, at 14 Hawthrone Ave., began around 4:30 p.m., Monday, in the garage where some tools, including a welder, were plugged into an outlet, said Acting Newburgh Fire Chief Terry Ahlers.
One of the cords caught fire and spread to the walls and a car parked in the garage area, he said.
Firefighters were able to keep the flames from moving into the home, although there was substantial damage to the electrical and plumbing of the home, along with some smoke damage, Ahlers said.
The Red Cross is currently helping the family of six including the parents, an adult son, two 10-year-old children and a baby. No one was injured during the fire.
The family should be able to move back into their home after the repairs are complete, the chief said.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.