NEWBURGH, N.Y. – An unidentified man is in critical condition after he lit himself on fire at a Newburgh gas station on Sunday, authorities said.
The man, who is said to be in his 30s, purchased gasoline from the Shell gas station on Broadway, then poured over himself and lit himself on fire just before 4 a.m. on Sunday. Bystanders attempted to douse the flames with snow, Newburgh police said.
The City of Newburgh Fire Department and Mobile Life support services responded to the scene. The man was taken to St. Luke’s hospital before being transported to Westchester Medical where he is listed in critical condition, officials said.
Anyone with any information about this incident is urged to contact the City of Newburgh Police Department at 845-561-3131.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.